CRTC Ruling states Broadband Internet should no longer be limited to specific regions, and is now a basic service for everyone


The Internet is a basic service in the lives of Canadians. With over 3 billion people worldwide utilizing the web, Canadian’s should no longer be deprived of broadband Internet services. The CRTC is making a change that will benefit the lives of those Canadian’s that live in rural areas, making broadband Internet services available to all.

This new ruling has ISP’s striving to meet the goal of providing rural customers at least 50 megabits per second download speed, and upload speeds of at least 10 megabits per second, and options for unlimited data. According to the CRTC, “two million Canadian households, or roughly 18 per cent, don’t have access to those speeds or data.” Broadband is now deemed as a basic service, regardless of where a person lives. The CRTC expects fixed broadband Internet of at least 50/10Mbps to be available in 90% of Canadian households by the end of 2021, and in the remaining 10% within 10 to 15 years.

The CRTC states that fast Internet speeds and the ability to download content quickly is no longer a superfluity, as people rely heavily on the Internet to do essential, daily actions such as online banking, distance education, government services, telehealth, and much more. Having the option for fast speeds and unlimited data is a must.

Worldline is dedicated to applying these changes to better serve our customers that reside in rural areas. Although specific implementation details from the ruling have yet to be determined, Worldline is better preparing their services for the upcoming changes. Aside from the minimum 50 megabits per second download and 10 megabits per second upload speeds, the CRTC has issued changes that must be implemented within the next six months such as contracts and services must be explained in clear language to ensure customers are completely aware of what’s included and offered. 

Overall, this ruling is paving the way for Canadian’s to make more informed decisions about their telecommunications services, and to offer more to those in rural areas – because everyone deserves fast, reliable broadband Internet

Looking to switch to Worldline telecom services? See what they have to offer in your area today. 

5 thoughts on “CRTC Ruling states Broadband Internet should no longer be limited to specific regions, and is now a basic service for everyone

  1. Every major country has realized the potential of internet and technology. Thus most of the major countries are working to make the internet available to every corner of their country. Kudos to the Canadian Government for taking the responsibility to provide best speeds to all the underdeveloped cities.

  2. Well, I think to make the internet access for easier is to make the communication and infrastructure stronger. I think they took right step to make the internet accessible for everyone.

  3. Actually nowadays it is mandatory for all people that many of the people they know it and from the broadband facility, it will great for everyone to increase the working facility. So for the broadband connection, if you have any query then just visit the site which I suggest.

  4. Yes, this is important to the CRTC ruling states broadband. This new is very bad for the specific regions. which is very important to me. I am using the best broadband in my home and it is working very fine. if I have any problem with that go to the website which provides the best support. which is very helpful for us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *